July 26, 2014

Down down and stay here

Travel and me basically have long, failed relationship that never really got going. I've always admired it and enjoyed it, but perhaps I always loved the idea of it more. No, I do like it – really the problem was always that I was just scared to commit. On the rare occasions I've had the opportunity to get serious with it, I've sort of shied away for stupid reasons. Now that I'm older I look back and realise that I basically blew my chance with it. Now travel and me are basically over.

Back when travel and I were young and carefree, I went to Australia, for which I required a passport. When I got back from Australia, the passport was handy as an official form of ID for the non-driving me. I took the passport out on a number drunken evenings for getting into bars purposes, cheating on travel with alcohol like the idiot I was. Anyway, some time later I had occasion to have a passport for something (it was not flying anywhere) and thought I would get the old one renewed. But I couldn't find the old one. So I rang the passport office to say "I think I've lost my passport in my house somewhere" and they said "It's not in your house. We've got it, since someone handed it in off the street about 6 years ago." This may serve as a pretty good illustration of just how bad things got between travel and me. One day I looked up and found that I just hadn't been anywhere for years.

Nowadays, I see people hanging out with travel, laughing, having a good time, and I can't help but think "that could have been me". They don't treat travel right. They fly to Wellington like it's not even a big deal! They get on a plane and go to Auckland and come back on another plane the same day! They go to different countries – multiple countries – all the time, like it's just something you can just do! On man, I know I could treat travel better than that. Travel deserves someone that thinks it's special. Not these people that take it for granted.

A good friend invited me to his August wedding in the UK some months back. He was like "Hey, whatever happened with you and travel, anyway? You should give travel a ring." And you know, the sad thing is, I even looked up travel's phone number. In the end though, I never even made the call.

Travel's moved on, and I may as well too.

No comments: